We announced some months before, that we are looking for partners, who are open for A/B testing their old style HTML email template vs. it’s responsive replicate. Thankfully we found a partner from the US, who was open to share the results with us anonymously.
They operate an e-commerce website and have around 1 Million subscribers. They are active in email marketing, and send 1-3 promotional messages weekly. The open rates of the campaign were around 14%, which is 5% lower then U.S. average open rates. Surprisingly the responsive replicate of the email had a 1.6% lower open rate than the Old style HTML but Click to Open (+5.9%) and Conversion Rates (+11.8%) improved.
|Total Delivered||Open Rate||Click to Open||Conversion Rate|
|Old style HTML||501 897||14.33%||8.01%||0.17%|
|Responsive replicate||501 726||14.11%||8.48%||0.19%|
|Responsive vs Old style|| * ||– 1,6%*||+5,9%||+11,8%|
What did we learn?
- We didn’t have real impact on the open rate with a single message, although we saw in many case studies out there that Open Rates increase in the long run.
- Even the exact responsive replicate of an old style HTML email template performed better in terms of Clicks and Conversion Rates
- Next time, we won’t create an exact replicate, but a brand new design, which is created with a “mobile first” thinking
Are you open for an A/B testing pilot?
If you have a large list (important for statistical relevance) and would like to get a cool looking responsive email template for free, we are happy to help you!
How does it work?
- Send us your email template (in a .zip with text, images, and layout – can be a .psd as well).
- We create a mobile friendly version of it with EDMdesigner.
- You get *back a pro *responsive email template for FREE!
- We just would like to ask you to A/B test it with your previous template and share the results with us.
Interested? Drop a line to email@example.com, and we can discuss everything individually.
Using PHP for Sending HTML Emails with Mailgun, Sendgrid & Amazon SES
Ever wondered how to use PHP for sending HTML email templates with Mailgun, Sendgrid and Amazon SES? Read on for step-by-step coding advice.Read more
A Step-by-Step Guide to Sending HTML Email Templates Using PHP
In this comprehensive guide you will learn the ins and outs of sending text and HTML emails with built-in packages and email delivery services using PHP.Read more
How to Use a Templating Language in HTML Email Development