We announced some months before, that we are looking for partners, who are open for A/B testing their old style HTML email template vs. it’s responsive replicate. Thankfully we found a partner from the US, who was open to share the results with us anonymously.
They operate an e-commerce website and have around 1 Million subscribers. They are active in email marketing, and send 1-3 promotional messages weekly. The open rates of the campaign were around 14%, which is 5% lower then U.S. average open rates. Surprisingly the responsive replicate of the email had a 1.6% lower open rate than the Old style HTML but Click to Open (+5.9%) and Conversion Rates (+11.8%) improved.
|Total Delivered||Open Rate||Click to Open||Conversion Rate|
|Old style HTML||501 897||14.33%||8.01%||0.17%|
|Responsive replicate||501 726||14.11%||8.48%||0.19%|
|Responsive vs Old style|| * ||– 1,6%*||+5,9%||+11,8%|
What did we learn?
- We didn’t have real impact on the open rate with a single message, although we saw in many case studies out there that Open Rates increase in the long run.
- Even the exact responsive replicate of an old style HTML email template performed better in terms of Clicks and Conversion Rates
- Next time, we won’t create an exact replicate, but a brand new design, which is created with a “mobile first” thinking
Are you open for an A/B testing pilot?
If you have a large list (important for statistical relevance) and would like to get a cool looking responsive email template for free, we are happy to help you!
How does it work?
- Send us your email template (in a .zip with text, images, and layout – can be a .psd as well).
- We create a mobile friendly version of it with EDMdesigner.
- You get *back a pro *responsive email template for FREE!
- We just would like to ask you to A/B test it with your previous template and share the results with us.
Interested? Drop a line to firstname.lastname@example.org, and we can discuss everything individually.
Content Images in Modern HTML Emails
In the last few months I have been following the previous posts of the Modern HTMLRead more
HTML Email Width - Overcoming the 600px Limitation
The de facto standard for HTML emails' width is 600 pixels. But why is that? WeRead more
The Drop Calc Method to Create Responsive HTML Emails
Originally I was going to write an article about the different techniques which you can createRead more