We announced some months before, that we are looking for partners, who are open for A/B testing their old style HTML email template vs. it’s responsive replicate. Thankfully we found a partner from the US, who was open to share the results with us anonymously.
They operate an e-commerce website and have around 1 Million subscribers. They are active in email marketing, and send 1-3 promotional messages weekly. The open rates of the campaign were around 14%, which is 5% lower then U.S. average open rates. Surprisingly the responsive replicate of the email had a 1.6% lower open rate than the Old style HTML but Click to Open (+5.9%) and Conversion Rates (+11.8%) improved.
|Total Delivered||Open Rate||Click to Open||Conversion Rate|
|Old style HTML||501 897||14.33%||8.01%||0.17%|
|Responsive replicate||501 726||14.11%||8.48%||0.19%|
|Responsive vs Old style|| * ||– 1,6%*||+5,9%||+11,8%|
What did we learn?
- We didn’t have real impact on the open rate with a single message, although we saw in many case studies out there that Open Rates increase in the long run.
- Even the exact responsive replicate of an old style HTML email template performed better in terms of Clicks and Conversion Rates
- Next time, we won’t create an exact replicate, but a brand new design, which is created with a “mobile first” thinking
Are you open for an A/B testing pilot?
If you have a large list (important for statistical relevance) and would like to get a cool looking responsive email template for free, we are happy to help you!
How does it work?
- Send us your email template (in a .zip with text, images, and layout – can be a .psd as well).
- We create a mobile friendly version of it with EDMdesigner.
- You get *back a pro *responsive email template for FREE!
- We just would like to ask you to A/B test it with your previous template and share the results with us.
Interested? Drop a line to firstname.lastname@example.org, and we can discuss everything individually.
HTML Email Development Tools
Would you like to improve your HTML email development workflow and learn about new developer tools? This article series is for you.Read more
Git Branching Workflows in SaaS Development and the Review ASAP Policy
This article shows you a git branching workflow which helps developers to review changes frequently, leading to better code quality.Read more
Tabular Data Representation in Modern HTML Emails
Responsive tables are the most common ways to represent tabular data in HTML emails. Learn about the best practices and the card layout design approach.Read more